Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pleasure Fishing, it's well named

Things had been conspiring against Team Kavo over the last few weeks, my winter league commitments,
Robs footballing commitments, my work, life I suppose.
We planned this weekend in that we'd fish Saturday for fun and I'd fish the 4th round of the winter league on Sunday, great stuff until I get asked to work on Saturday, grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
It's a funny time and extra work just can't be turned down so with Team Kavo looking at another
let down weekend, something had to be done.
Much as I love my winter league, Team Kavo got the nod (obviously) and a day out together was
hastily arranged for the Sunday.
Car loaded (ish) on the Saturday evening and off to what is probably, no definitely our favourite
Winter venue. Those that know me well will know where it is, those that don't can ask me.
Just off The Barrow when its in flood and what a spot it is.
We arrived at about 10.00 to find our good friends Jimmy, Patsy & Rushy just unloading their
van, so immeadiatey we knew it was going to be a good day, regardless of the fishing.
The water was pushing through fairly quickly but it was a nice smooth flow of well coloured,
fish filled loveliness.
We picked a couple of swims to the left of the other lads and got the car unloaded.
First things first, get the groundbait mixed, regardless of whether I'm match or pleasure fishing that all ways the first thing to be done. A half kilo of canal mix from last week, had a half kilo of Sensas Gros Gardons and
a half kilo of Dynamite X River added to it. Not sure if the addition of the river mix made any difference
but with the flow has hard as it was I thought it might help to get the ground bait to the bottom, quickly.
Once that was mixed and riddled, I added a half pint of caster and a half pint of hemp.
From past experience of fishing here, rig selection is fairly straightforward, whats the heaviest one I have in the collection, that'll do nicely thank you. Well not quite because I have a few monstrous ones for some unknown reasons. 2 grm Triana floats were first on at 11M but after 10 mins I swopped to a heavier
3 grm Triana and after a couple of busted rigs, Rob was using a 5grm Maver float.
As usual, main line was Preston Reflo Power and hooklengths were pre tied Kamasans, either B510's or
B520's. I started the day using a size 18 B510 but after a few fish the hook went so I changed to
the heavier B520. There was a lot of good sized Roach being swung so the heavier the better I reckoned.
Right at the start it was 3 big balls of groundbait to get it going and then anytime the bites stopped it was
another big ball, very little finnesse going on here, simply ball it in and they will come and boy did they come.
Roach after glorious roach, I've never had a day like it. The only reason I didn't get a roach when I laid
it in was because I got a dace !!! or the odd wee skimmer.
It took a little while to suss things out but ship it out to a position at 2 o clock, hold it back till the shot
settled and then let it run through. A couple of little stops on the way would lift the bait off the bottom
and more often than not produce a bite. Double red mags, double caster, a red and white mag any mix
you like all seemed to produce for me. The other lads were convinced a red and white mag was the way forward but it didn't seem to matter to me.
All five of us were getting bites a plenty, it really was all action and everytime I looked to my right there was
the marvellous sight of top kits in the air with bright elastic surging out of them.
We all had time out at some stage, for a chat, a sangwich, to mix another kg groundbait !!!!
but most importantly to enjoy the day.
Soon enough it's half four in the afternoon and well, all good things do come to an end. Time for a weigh
in and right on que it's Jimmy with a scales.
It's a pleasure day but theres allways a bit of needle and an alledged tenner up for grabs within
Team Kavo so up comes the keep net, tip it into the sling and its, 15lbs and 12ozs.


Me 15lb 12oz










Rob was next and the pressures on up comes the keep net and Jimmy says, ah Shane he's got you, again.
The scales never lies, 15lb and wait for iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit 4ozs. Yep thats really only 1 fish in the difference but it's my one fish,

Rob 15lb 4 ozs


So the Auld fellah does it for a change because if I don't say that the young fellah will winge.

Next it's the Mafias turn to weigh in and like Team Kavo they have their own braggin rights etc to
be battled for and won. Patsy had best weight with 25lb odd, Jimmy with 24lb odd and
Rushy with 18lb odd


Jimmy 24lb odd
Patsy 25lb odd






Cheesy, just plain odd !!

So thats a fish or two under 100lbs between the five of us. Incredible fishing for the time of year.
It's fair to say had any of us been taken it seriously we'd have comfortably gone over the 100lbs.
Another great day for us all, you gotta love it.
Pleasure fishing, my pleasure................

No comments:

Post a Comment