Sunday, February 6, 2011

Team Kavo on The Boards

A week after my solo trip to The Boards and Team Kavo are up at stupid o clock. It sems that the younger member of the team has the same bug, no problem getting him up for fishing. If only he'd get up as easily
from Monday to Friday.
Two sets of gear are loaded up the night before, we're on the road in the dark and bucketing rain but
Team Kavo couldn't be happier, we're off fishing, happy days. It's been a while since Rob got out and
we're both really looking forward to a good day. Recent weather might effect things, a lot of rain during the past week was bound to have it really pushing through which might make things awkward. On the plus side
it should put some colour in the water which is never a bad thing.
Two sets of gear are quickly set up, the water level is higher than the previous week, there is extra colour
in the water though you can still see bait for a couple of feet as it sinks in the water but it doesn't seem to be
flowing any quicker. Robs using a 6m whip and I've a 7m with the foat rod in the rod bag for later on.
I wanted to be sure I had a few fish in the net before I tried the stick float, which I had promised myself
I'd do. Again I went with Gros Gardons as a groundbait but added a half bag of river mix to help it
bind a bit more. In truth I'm not convinced that I needed to do that, as it turned out I had more fish
when loose feeding and fishing up in the water.
Rigs were similar to the previous week, though from the off we were using Kamasan B611's so no issues with hooks straightening. Rob went with a Garbo 1.5grm float, I was thinkig about the very shy bites from the previous week so went with a slightly lighter 1grm float. After 10 or 15 mins I knew the 1gr was to light
but stupidly kept using it as the bites were again very hard to read.

We were both into fish from the off though and good swingable roach were coming to hand very regularly.
Rob was fishing on bottom and using a lot more groundbait than I was, I on the other hand had quickly started coming up in the water and was loose feeding caster and hemp. Seemed to me that I was getting more bites so I kept at it and they kept obliging.
Now those of you that know us will know that we never have a day out without something happening and today was no different. After losing a fish and the rig wrapping around my whip it was time for a break
and a cup of coffee. I figured I was ahead of Rob so it was time to get the float rod out and try my hand at
running a stick float through the faster water. Back to the swim and out with the float road only to discover theres no reel attached to it !!!! There goes that plan, back to the whip. I tied on a new rig with a heavier      2 grm float and the fish were still there.
We'd had a good 4 hours at this stage and when Rob pulled out of a fish and thrashed  the rig that had been doing well for him, we were nearing the end of the session.
We started breaking down and putting the mountain of gear away and carting it all to the car, the weigh in was looming. As we're packing away both of us noticed the quite guy who had been fishing to our left.
Up came his keep net and he emptied the contents in to the bucket he had been sitting on all day !!!!
We wandered up to him to make sure he wasn't about to walk off with them and sure enough he was.
He claimed not to know, I don't know if he was being honest with us but he emptied them back in and went on his way.
Back to business and up came our keepnets, 12lb 10oz for the auld fellah and 10lb 8ozs for the young fellah.
I can drive home without getting slagged and all is well.


Another cracking day, despite the lousy weather we had fish throughout the 5 hours that we fished and had we really gone at it I'm sure we could have had an awful lot more. Fishing up in the water and regular loose feeding seemed to be the best option for the day. One thing to pass on for anyone looking to but suitable good outdoor clothing. Rob was wearing a newly acquired Sunridge outfit. Coat, B n B thats on sale in several different tackle shops. I think it sells at129.00 which is good value if it does everything the manufacturer claims. When you buy it you get a pair of Sunridge boots thrown in making it even better value. |I managed to convince the lads in C&J Angling that it'd be better if they gave us the new Sunridge thermal gear rather than the boots and it's fair to say that both outfits are really really good. The Thermals really do keep you warm and after sitting out in the rain for 5 hours he was bone dry when the suit came off.
Really good gear, really good value, might get a set for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment