Saturday, June 11, 2011

Bless me father for I have sinned

It's been 3 months since I updated this !!!!!!!!!!!!
These few photos belong with the last post but damned if I can figure how to insert them in the right place.



Suddenly It's June and Spring is gone in a flash. Everything seems to be going by so quickly and the fishing has been hectic. The canals are calling and between Enfeld Club matches, the Senior and Junior canal
champs it's "all out" to use a term, on the canals. It's fair to say we're both quite happy on a canal and we both enjoy our days on them. In no particular order because I can't remember the order, the Senior Canals were held on Enfield stretches so I was happy that at least I'd have an idea of what was going to be needed. The days before had myself and a few Enfield club members out with the rakes, strimmers etc to get the two selected stretches in good shape. Day 1 was on Ferns and allthough I drew at the right end I didn't draw up far enough.  Peg 11 and it proved difficult enough, for whatever reason I couldn't get any decent fish and nothing off the bottom, so all I had were blips from mid water and that was never going to be anything like good enough.

Rob was with me for the day and after a couple of hours he came back with news that Seanie Ward was baggin on Peg 1 and he bagged all day. His finishing bag was a cracker at over 8kg.
I packed up after 5 enjoyable hours knowing that unless I drew an absolute flyer the following
day, it was game over. My final few blips after day 1,
Day 2 was on Longwood and the talk before the draw was that low numbers would be best so when I
drew 38 out of 42, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
In the car driving to Longwood I knew I'd have nothing to go for and when I got to the peg
it was confirmed. Possibly the most featureless, barren peg I've ever seen, never mind fished.

Any other day you'd go right past it without a second look, so I settled in and decided the best bet was to go for a section place. That wasn't going to be easy, looking up the stretch theres current and previous
international anglers any of which could easily batter me. In front of me theres a bed of lillies going out
about 5 foot and then theres nothing. Not so much as a leaf right over to the far bank, not a thing to hold
fish so from the begining I figured there was none there. I wasn't far wrong not a bite off 3 lines and the only way I could get anything was by fishing mid water and scratching for blips, again !!!!
I did manage a few and in talking to the lads along the section I was managing as much if not more than them.
Plan "A" was coming together and a section place was looking on the cards.
So it turned out, I had .75 of a kilo and was looking good with only 2 of the lads to weigh in and both of them claiming they had very little. Pat Bartley pulled a net of blips from the canal and it was going to be close.
He only went and had .76 of a kilo, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Next was Brian O Donoghue who had .74 I think, whatever it was it was less than me so second in my
section and I'm very happy with that. It's a bit of coin to cover the weekends cost but even better was the idea that I could actually do it. I had a section win the previous year which I allways thought was more down to luck than anything else, so getting placed again and from the middle of a crap section, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment